Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Week 9: 'Context'

Context could be related to the ‘working environment’ of the project or the ‘content’ of the project for example, the function of the ‘unbuilt building’ and how its elements relate to its content. When thinking about the physical context of the project the surrounding of the building needs to be considered. In what context will the building be placed? How does the building itself reflect this? For example its, style, orientation, shape and placement. All of these can be considered in terms of context.

I think our building does represent its intended context the style of the home represents a modern day beach home, open in planning to take in its surroundings; the ocean on one side and the mountain views on the other. The building is multi-levelled, with large balconies at the front and pitched high above its surroundings so the design of the building has been carefully thought out to take this into consideration.

The setting of the construction of the unbuilt building has been both at the university labs and from our individual computers from home.

I am not sure I agree that using UT3 to influence the project is the best option. Our group B, I feel has agreed to take the opposite approach. To use UT3 to represent the building, that is its functionality and surroundings to be as realistic as possible. I think elements could be changed without interfering with the buildings context too much. Perhaps, different building materials and colours could be chosen while maintaining the original environment and context.

I suppose the context is important in terms of architectural examples is because it is important in terms of design. An Architect cannot design a building efficiently without knowing its context.
In terms of the context of our workmanship, I would say that Azize is our group leader. She organises a lot and generally we run our ideas past her, if we’re not sure. Azize presented the group with details of the unbuilt building for example the plans and Cettina is a good presenter.
Jeff, predominantly does a lot of the video editing and some UT3 stuff, possibly the environment mapping to come. Chivonda and I have been working on the materials for the model in 3ds max and doing the director animations for each presentation and starting to consider interior colour schemes and designs such as settings and furniture.

No comments: